Sunday, September 5, 2010

Paul Conrad passes away...


When I was 12 or so around 1979 my mom asked if I wanted to take a cartooning class at the Palos Verdes art center that summer "IF" we can get you in... Why the if? Because it was a political cartooning class taught by Paul Conrad of the L.A. Times. Coming from a big family of democrat artists on my mom's side my whole family was encouraging me to take the class. Conrad himself did not want me in the class as I was only 12, and he thought I would not understand the politics he talked one on one with me about if I was serious about cartooning. It was the first class that really challenged me, and I realized that cartoons had tremendous power to bring change, challenge the establishment, and give humor to harsh times. When the class was over we got to pick a conrad poster to be signed. I picked "a wave of patriotism is sweeping the country" which had a surfer on a big wave that read "california draft" this was a big concern of mine that I did not want to fight in any war in the future. Conrad told me, "I hope you never have to experience one in your lifetime..." I went on to be the political cartoonist for my school newspaper in high school. This week I am getting my first comic book published and have more planned. So thanks Paul, and so long for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment